**UPDATE** Thanks for your helpful feedback. We made a few changes that we hope will accommodate the needs/preferences of most Guild members.ย ย You can see an explanation and summary of the changes here.

We are always looking for ways to improve the Guild and one of my big goals was to bring in other instructors. We brought Matt Cremona in as something of an experiment with his Sofa Table project and it was well-received. As a result, I’d like to bring Matt in on more projects in the future and with his help, we can bring substantially more projects into the Guild on a yearly basis. But HOW we do this brings some challenges. So I’m going to offer two options for you to choose from. Your opinions matter greatly to us and we’ll let the majority vote help decide the path we take. If we move to a six project a year formant, we’ll have two choices:

Optionย #1 (Mixed Instructors): We will offer two Early Bird Bundles. One will be the same as it is now, offering three upcoming projects. The second will be a larger bundle containing six future projects that cover you for the entire year. The projects will alternate between me and Matt so each bundle will contain projects from both instructors. This option assumes most people are OK getting content from both instructors.

Option #2 (Separate Instructor Bundles): We will offer three Early Bird Bundles. One 3-project bundle containing Marc’s projects for the year. One 3-project bundle containing Matt’s projects for the year. And a third bundle containing all 6ย projects from both instructors. This option assumes some people would prefer to follow only one instructor and don’t necessarily want to be forced to buy the second instructor’s content in order to get the Early Bird discount, while still leaving the option for folks to get all six projects at a big discount if they prefer.

I’m not all that concerned with hammering out specific pricing at this point and all I really want to know is do you prefer to have the bundles separated by instructor or mixed up. Feel free to leave comments or ask questions below.

Comments 88

You must be logged in to post a comment.

wildeuce August 1, 2016 9:27 pm

I own all of the projects you’ve offered so far (not that I’ve built them all) but, buying them is my way of supporting TWW. I have been with you since almost the beginning though I didn’t join the guild right away, but I’m not about to leave any time soon. Matt is a great addition to the mix. I was starting to follow him anyway not only for his style of woodworking but for his entertainment value.
I disagree, that the instructor makes no difference. I have turned off many a YOUTUBE channels due to the instructor, poor quality filming, sound etc. On the other hand I could, and do watch some strictly for the instructor and quality of the show even though I don’t build what they do i.e. Roy Underhill.
I will continue to buy all of the projects the two of you produce so I can do my part to support great quality woodworking instruction as well as being a part of this community.

morganew July 31, 2016 9:32 pm

I really liked the Yearly buy it all price. I’ve hit an age where time is worth more than money to me, but at the same time, I hate the idea of paying full price because I missed a bargain!

The all-in just bill me was a nice fit; If I saw something interesting, I had it. even if I didn’t build that particular project, I could enjoy the videos to learn trick or two. It’s hard to argue that it’s worth $99 for the projects I am not going to build though. With an annual “early bird” I can basically argue I am paying full price for the ones I build, and nothing for the ones I don’t.

kozeltof July 31, 2016 6:32 pm

I in no way am want to offend anybody. I am just not sure I am ready to make a pick based off of one project. I love the result of Matt’s work, I follow him on YouTube; however, there is a big difference in watching someone for entertainment and paying for a project. Teaching style is big for me (I am not saying I don’t like Matt’s style of teaching just need to see more in this type of format before I am ready to commit to just buying a project because it is the next project up). There are many YouTube channels that I would watch just because it is woodworking but would not really pay for a projects for this very reason. I personally don’t subscribe to the guild for entertainment…although there is some of that sneaks in. This is the main reason I chose #2. I just want to see more of a second…or third instructor before I blindly select a bundle of a particular instructor especially if the price per bundle is the same. I know what I get from a detailed project from Marc, but with Matt I need to see more. (again not trying to offend Matt at all)

Sorry for the soap box.

Harvey July 31, 2016 5:45 pm

Although I voted for by the instructor, I will more than likely buy both since Matt has a different way of solving problems. I know that Marc AND Matt have very high standards when it comes to their video snd project content.

Robert July 31, 2016 4:09 pm

I would rather pick the bundle by project. I trust Marc to keep the instruction level up to his own standards, no matter if it is Matt or someone else doing the instructing, so project selection is more important to me.

But thanks for looking to expand the scope of the Guild by any possible means, and thanks for asking for our opinions!

Andrew July 31, 2016 1:04 pm

I’d like to see the mix and match option as well. But from the posts I’ve read it sounds like it’s not possible ATM. Marc, you’ve been great at developing the site and instructional videos so far, I’m sure what ever route you take will work well.

minarzick July 31, 2016 10:45 am

Both instructors are excellent. I pick the project to buy based 100% on whether or not I want the final product (the item being produced). Bringing in other teachers is fantastic. I’d like to see larger and more complicated projects. Of course, if smaller projects are what sells then that’s how one has to go. Another issue is Marc himself – we’ve come to know him, watch from the Guild as he and the site became more professional, birth of a child, etc. That’s been rewarding as well. Either way, I’ll still be coming around. Keep up the great work.

chris_h July 31, 2016 9:26 am

I personally enjoy the subscription for a period of time. Ironically, this is also what made it difficult for me to take the plunge into the guild at first. When I really only wanted one project, the cost was perceived to be prohibitive. however then once I did jump in, I found that I got a lot of value out of a build I had no intention of completing. 20/20 hind sight, I really like being forced outside my comfort zone with content.

PS. I love that you are embracing Matt into the guild projects. He has a different but enjoyable teaching style, and his log to lumber, and even metal work content brings a new rabbit hole to dive down! ๐Ÿ™‚

hutch July 31, 2016 8:16 am

How about a collaborative project? I’d love to see the Spagmona sculpted barstool set.

kevinmk_37 July 31, 2016 7:40 am

Like many others have said, the projects that match my interest determines the value and eventually my spending — whether that be a la carte or a bundle. Instructors as long as they are good would not influence my buying decision. While I haven’t seen any of Matt’s videos, I have the expectation that they are top notch otherwise Mark would not have added him to the site.

hlinkey July 31, 2016 6:10 am

For me watching the builds is mire about learning not only techniques, but the gems of insight that other woodworkers has learned through their experiences. Several years ago Marc and Charles Niel did a similar thing and I really enjoyed learning from both of them.

Tom July 31, 2016 5:19 am

Well, I watched Matt before I joined the Guild. I think he’s great, and appreciate that Marc brought him in.

I can’t add too much to the comments already made, except, could you both post an idea of the wood we need for a project several months before you begin. It takes me a while to find it, and season it. That is also a part of the fun.

Marc Spagnuolo July 31, 2016 6:19 am

We can try, but that’s tricky for us to pull off. Most times, we don’t really know the exact details of what we plan to build until it’s a couple weeks before the build itself. So we’ll try to get better, but with small one-man operations, things are usually done just in time.

rcauston July 31, 2016 3:15 am

I’ll probably go for the all-in-bundle since I’m cheap ๐Ÿ˜‰ and like to support you guys who create great content even though I don’t build all projects (haven’t completed a single one yet, but starting on the barrister bookcase currently).

The beauty of internet publishing is that I can download the courses when they are published and follow along later when it becomes current to build something from my archive of builds.

southofnonorth July 31, 2016 2:38 am

Personally, I’m happy to watch whatever you 2 guys bring out – It’s unlikely that I would want to build everything, but I still like to see you build them – As a general comment, I think I would like to see “more” for my money – over the last couple of projects, each episode could be as little as 8 – 12 minutes – although I didn’t feel that details were being missed, I felt less immersed in the subject. (As a contrast, 2 of the other sites I subscribe to, Paul Sellers & The English Woodworker, both offer at least a 40 min episode). For me it’s as much about seeing the way of working, as opposed to seeing a slickly edited precis of the process. Still happy to subscribe, however!

Marc Spagnuolo July 31, 2016 6:17 am

I understand what you’re saying. But the way I see it is I’m trying to respect your time. My videos used to be much longer because I wasn’t quite as good at editing and composing the content in a more concise way. These days, I try to pack the same amount of info in a much more digestible chunk. With those other instructors, I’m guessing they spend a lot of time talking to the camera. That’s a hard sell in today’s market because we have so many things competing for our time and I think it’s good that we’ve evolved past that. Though I do understand that not everyone is in such a rush and might prefer a more casual and slow presentation.

Kevin July 31, 2016 2:19 am

I like the idea of different instructors, it broadens the learning experience having different approaches. For me selection comes down to the project and I would be an ‘a la carte’ guy. I agree with others who would like smaller weekend or two weekend projects mixed in the the larger products. Matt was a good choice for your first added instructor.

K

clevno July 30, 2016 11:04 pm

Have you ever thought of a lifetime membership. I know a lot of people might not be able to go that route but some may.

Marc Spagnuolo July 31, 2016 6:11 am

Nope. No offense meant but a lifetime membership is a terrible idea from a business perspective. ๐Ÿ™‚

Socheat July 30, 2016 10:39 pm

I’m fairly new to woodworking, relatively speaking, so I’m picking up all the projects. While some projects don’t fit the decor of our house or our personal style (e.g., the upcoming grandfather clock), in my ideal world, I’d build every single one just for the fun and experience. Regardless, I learn best by watching someone else do something, then trying it myself until I find something that works for me. So even though a I might not actually build one of the projects, the techniques from the builds are what are useful to me. Also, while Matt and Marc’s styles and approach to teaching are slightly different, their end results are equally amazing, so I’m more than ok with the division of labor. To me that means more projects in the same time span, more choices for a la cart purchases, different techniques and approaches to learn, and (hopefully) a more distributed workload for Marc and Matt so that this train can keep running for years and years to come! I’ll probably never build it, but I look forward to Matt’s secretary desk guild build ๐Ÿ˜‰

Donald July 30, 2016 10:25 pm

Vastly prefer option number 2 as it lets you have the best of both worlds. You prefer one instructor over the other? You can buy just one instructor’s projects or both. All you’re “losing” is the ability to buy a mixed bundle of only 3 projects instead of 6.

Wade July 30, 2016 8:32 pm

This has been said already but I will add to opinion pool.
I like the presentation styles of both instructors. For me, its the content that matters and not who is presenting it. I have purchased quite a few projects thus far and have been happy with the available options. If I were to make one suggestion: more variety of projects. So, I am looking forward to any and all upcoming additions.

apalmer July 30, 2016 8:20 pm

I’m not sure if this has already been since I haven’t read all the comments but I think both Marc and Matt are excellent instructors who both follow a similar level of high standards. Therefore I always feel my interest in a guild build is in the project itself. For example, I may be very interested in a sofa table but have no desire to build a grandfather clock.

mattstack July 30, 2016 8:03 pm

I joined the guild because I like Marc’s presentation and style. Matt’s videos are fine in small doses, but I don’t care for his presentation. I didnt get too far into the sofa table videos before I had to tap out. Keep the woodwhisperer guild starring the woodwhisperer only. If we want to watch Matt we can subscribe to his channel.

devildawg91 July 30, 2016 7:57 pm

You both put out amazing content. Marc are you sure Matt isn’t your younger brother? Great Idea. I’m in

Aussie Dave July 30, 2016 7:26 pm

I am happy to get all six projects from both instructors. Although I may never build some of the projects I like to see the making of them and ways something can be done ie: joinery on projects. Always good to know more than one way to do something. I did enjoy Matt’s project and would like to see more of his stuff. Yes for different way of doing things I probably could find free videos on Youtube but they don’t always go into detail as I have seen you do Marc and I get a giggle when the Maestro does something wrong…..Shows your just like us all, we make mistakes and you don’t hide them by editing video. Both bundles for me Marc & Matt….

jdcook72 July 30, 2016 7:22 pm

I like the teaching and presentation styles of both you guys so that is not a determining factor for me; I’m more concerned with if the project interests me. Besides the fact any project will likely have something for me to learn in it, if I don’t see myself actually building it at some point, I’d be less inclined to buy it. If the upcoming project of the next three isn’t one I’m interested in, I’ll wait until it is complete, rolls off and reevaluate the next three. I don’t ever think I’ve skipped more than one project before there were three that I wanted. Also, when the middle or last project of the next three isn’t one I’m particularly interested, I’ve still purchased the bundle. I think it’s good to push through my comfort/interest zone once in a while and, as I mentioned before, there’s always something to learn plus it’s a great discount.

Keeping the rolling next-three-project early bird special would keep me happy. Adding a deeper discounted next-six-project discount would be super. Adding a next-three from a specific teacher option would be great only because it would give me more flexibility in defining the next three projects in my bundle, not because I don’t like one of you guys ๐Ÿ˜‰

If you did all three of those things and they all had the rolling component, I don’t see how I couldn’t skip a few here and there and still get at least a three project bundle whenever I re-upped.

Nicholas July 30, 2016 7:14 pm

Like many others, I’d prefer to pick any 3, 4, or 6. Projects, not which one of you two it is, matters. I’d likely end up getting all 6, but having the choice is good in theory.

willie July 30, 2016 7:07 pm

Not to complicate things but I like to pick and choose so I just use the ala cart option. But, if I could make a suggestion, I’d like to see some smaller projects. I think the cutting board that Mark did was so popular because it is easily done over a weekend. So maybe some smaller projects like nicer picture frames or wall shelves or desk organizers (for just a few ideas). The video content that accompanies the detailed plans is second to none so that kind of instruction with a less intense project could really boost the skills of a learning woodworker. That might not be a direction Mark wants to take the Guild but like I said it’s just a suggestion.

pkinneb July 30, 2016 7:03 pm

Marc I will buy all 6 regardless just bring on the projects. I find I learn a lot from the video’s whether I am building the project or not and I find both you and Matt to be awesome instructors!!

jleonick July 30, 2016 7:01 pm

Both instructors are great. For me the project is not that important as learning woodworking skills. I have enjoyed watching projects knowing I would not build it, but learning how to apply the skills in something I will build. When offering a bundle, a detailed description of the skills used would help me decide which I would choose.

_funk July 30, 2016 6:53 pm

I’ll just quickly chime in here. The reason we don’t have a subscription exclusive system is specifically so that people can build their own bundles and don’t have to buy anything they don’t explicitly want. So really, what everyone is asking for already exists. ๐Ÿ™‚

To reiterate, no one is being forced to buy anything in a bundle. No one should be buying anything they don’t want.

The bundle is an extra packaged deal for people who like to buy projects in a chronological way. It’s a way to offer a product as close to the old subscription as possible. For the folk who like the subscription… these bundles are virtually the same thing.

Catherine Thomas-Webster July 30, 2016 6:46 pm

Marc,

The survey is hard for me to answer. Although, you and Nicole have been extremely supportive of me while I struggle with the very basics of woodworking, I am still lagging and thus, I have not purchased the sofa table project and have not seen Max in action. I assume he is very good. Although I have not been able yet to get through my first project, I have purchased a bundle with both the hope of getting through it as well as to support what you do. In fact I plan on making another purchase this year, focusing on what interests me, but also with the idea of supporting your program, as you have so generously supported me. The good news is that I am getting more comfortable with the shop tools and I truly hope to get back on the shaker table soon. I have been working on a couple of shop and home projects as well as a very simple Woodcraft project in order to get some shop time under my belt. Despite my lack of progress, I thoroughly enjoy my time in the shop and I am making progress, albeit, slowly. In fact I feel better about my progress over the past month or so than I have in a long time. Woodworking has always fascinated me and I would have been much better off if I had started younger, but any accomplishment is better than not trying. Thanks.

stephenmas July 30, 2016 6:20 pm

For me, it’s about the projects first and the instructors second. Both instructors are great! How difficult would it be to technically incorporate a way so folks could pick their own projects? Being forced to buy something in a bundle that isn’t interesting is enough not to buy that bundle. I’ve done that in the past and would probably not do so again.

charleshart July 30, 2016 11:44 pm

I agree with this comment. I really don’t want to by a project I am not interested in just for the bundle.

mbirame July 30, 2016 6:20 pm

I didn’t vote because for what it’s worth-as some others have mentioned-it’s more about whether the project fits my specific furniture needs than how it is bundled. Marc you are an awesome instructor. I haven’t checked out any of Matt’s videos, but if he builds something I’m interested in then I will.

mikemenifee July 30, 2016 6:14 pm

Thanks for the reply Marc. Think the different perspectives would be great.

countrysideworkshop July 30, 2016 6:06 pm

Marc I have two comments!
1) I don’t know if it is feasible but why not offer 4 bundles: Matt’s Bundle, Marc’s Bundle, Next 3 projects, all 6 projects?

2) Have you thought about working with Bell Forest to host 1 project pack giveaway per Guild Build? Essentially 1 person would winner free lumber for that project and access to it in the guild. This might entice people to pay for the next project in the guild or purchase something else.

Just something I have been thinking about lately. Be safe brotha!

Marc Spagnuolo July 30, 2016 6:19 pm

1) Well I never considered that. And really, there’s no reason we can’t do it technologically speaking. I think the ONLY argument I could make against that is the fact that we now have four bundles and that could get confusing for people in a system that already can be confusing. But you gave me some serious food for thought here.

2) Another great idea. I’ll talk to nicole about it.

multipath July 30, 2016 7:28 pm

I really like this idea! It’s not exactly a la carte, but it is closer! I’d love them all, but sometimes you have to pick and choose.

countrysideworkshop July 31, 2016 12:45 pm

Marc,
    Or instead of a giveaway maybe another application process. Because sometimes someone just wants to build something but may not have the funds to build that project. For instance I want to build the grandfather clock but with the big move across the country I am in the process of doing for the military I just won’t have he spare funds to do it. Kinda like a virtual apprenticeship. That person could have access to talk with you if there are questions about a technique or something of that nature.

nitreug August 1, 2016 9:17 am

I was going to suggest the same 4 bundles. It gives flexibility. If a buyer prefers one hairy dude over another (I should probably say bearded master woodworker), the customers has the choice and if only a few projects look promising to a customer’s eyes (say the next three), the customer can choose those a opposed to all 6 or all from one bearded master woodworker.

To reduce the confusion, if you post all three upcoming projects from each instructor including the dates and what each bundle comprises, I think this should be fairly simple to understand.

frank426 July 30, 2016 5:57 pm

I really like both formats as far as the projects go….but I was wonder what ever happen to the whole build viewing like in a week….I think if my memory is correct that was going to be an option…. maybe I’m mistaken too much saw dust and fumes I’m my brain :>)

Marc Spagnuolo July 30, 2016 6:01 pm

It might be the fumes Frank. I have no idea what you’re referring to. ๐Ÿ™‚

mikemenifee July 30, 2016 5:54 pm

If I’m understanding correctly, in option # 1, there would be a package of three approximately every six months?

Marc Spagnuolo July 30, 2016 6:03 pm

The 3-project bundle would change periodically throughout the year. You would have a choice to either buy the 3-project bundle twice a year to get all six projects, or simply buy the 6-project bundle once per year for a deeper discount.

jhewitt17 July 30, 2016 5:48 pm

I’m completely satisfied with Marc’s projects. While Matt seems like a great guy, he’s not the WoodWhisperer. I wouldn’t want to pay for his projects but I still want the bundle.

S July 30, 2016 5:44 pm

I agree with my fellow guild members that a bundle with 3 choices without necessarily restricting it to three consecutive projects (ie any 3 in a year) would certainly be ideal. Recognize the tech difficulties but that would be a great solution to strive for in the future. Failing that, a bundle with 3 mixed authors is acceptable.

Mike_Mc July 30, 2016 5:38 pm

Option #3. I agree with most of the other posters here that the project drives my buying decision rather that the instructor. No offense Marc, I didnt even know you added someone on. I am working on the aidarondack chairs and have recently bought about 1/2 the wood for the Roubou workbench. Once I finish those projects I will start building furniture and buy the projects that are in the order of the projects I want to make.

josephmuench July 30, 2016 5:37 pm

For me….. I would like a Super Fan option. (I think that’s what it used to be called)…. Basically an annual fee that gives you access to everything (old and new). Basically a 12 month-full access membership. WW VIP. ๐Ÿ™‚

Marc Spagnuolo July 30, 2016 5:47 pm

Yeah I used to like that too, but it makes the system hard to modify unless we adhere to a strict product offering and never veer from that. For instance, right now we’re trying to add in more projects. How do I add in more projects and pay a guest instructor without doubling the price of that yearly sub (something most would not want to see). A system with variable pricing based on what you’re buying gives me the ultimate flexibility in product offerings, and the expense a simple yearly fee. But you’ll always be a WW VIP Joseph. ๐Ÿ™‚

tombuhl July 30, 2016 5:30 pm

Very seldom do I build a specific Guild project. I love them for entertainment and great general woodworking instruction, tips and inspiration. I’ve enthusiastically been a Guildie since the beginning. I prefer doing and learning by frequent and creative errors rather than watching, so three per year is the sweet spot for my attention span and tolerance for watching. Also, I would rather create my own designs by borrowing aspects from a wide range of sources (including Matt and Marc) than follow a plan.

For those who want specific projects they intend to build, they can buy individual builds rather than trying to find a bundle that suits their needs and expectations. The per project cost may be higher, but you get exactly what you want.

Thanks for valuing and considering your community. Best to you and your team.

tedfmcm July 30, 2016 5:30 pm

I agree picking your own is the best for the consumer, but this is a business and you do have that ability to pick a la carte as Marc notes, just not as deep of a discount, as it should be. The videos are inventory just like any other business and the prepayment discount restricts customization.

Long story short, I think it should be project sequence bundles, not instructor but I will likely buy all ha.

rtrojan July 30, 2016 5:27 pm

I am blissfully ignorant of the economics involved, but I can say that I am not a fan of buying “projects”. I joined the guild when it first started and it was a simple annual membership, come what may. I liked that arrangement. I am not as much concerned about what is built as much as I am about being a member of the guild. It’s the membership I benefit from, not any particular build.

Marc Spagnuolo July 30, 2016 5:33 pm

Yeah unfortunately, the economics are the problem with that. There’s no room for growth or flexibility with a flat continuous membership rate. The good news though is that if the membership is what you like, you already have it. You never need to buy additional projects.

mgreene93 April 12, 2017 6:45 am

Same here! I’m never sure what I purchased anyway, nor am I really worried about it. I just enjoy being a member. I’m not really interested in other instructors, so I vote for the individual instructor model.

shanesmith80 July 30, 2016 5:15 pm

Personally, either would be fine for me as I would likely buy all 6 projects anyway. I’m making a bit of an assumption, but going on previous pricing I find its great value for knowledge and entertaining. (Even with the Aussie exchange rate).

kevin July 30, 2016 5:12 pm

I have a guild member since the start and continue to pay for projects I will never build. It was my way of trying to support Marc.
But if we are now going to have multiple teachers. Then I like Steve’s idea getting to pick the projects.

russb3 July 31, 2016 1:26 pm

I share Kevin’s mentality, although I haven’t been a guild member since the beginning.
    When I started gaining interest in woodworking, The Wood Whisperer had the first instructional videos I watched. I feel I owe him for passing along all that knowledge, because it definitively helped me.
    Sure, after 20 years I may say that we’re ‘even’, but until then, I’ll gladly fork out my money for Marc’s stuff!
    I vote for an Early Bird Specials with 3 Matt, 3 Marc, and one that has all 6.

jusfine July 30, 2016 5:12 pm

I have similar feeling as gogododo, I have been a guild member for the purpose of Marc’s instruction. Good idea to break it out as long as the price reflects that.

Don’t know if it’s a glitch but I cannot access Matt’s build, I didn’t realize it was an extra charge.

I don’t have the ability to “build along” w my work schedule as it is, so I often am late downloading and reading up on projects.

Marc Spagnuolo July 30, 2016 5:13 pm

You should have the things you purchased access to. If you purchased Matt’s build at some point and didn’t get access to it, please let me know so I can investigate.

gogododo July 30, 2016 5:03 pm

Maybe 2 Marc projects and 2 non Marc projects. I hate to say it as such but I pay for Marc, not a standby or substitute, so maybe have them as a bonus.

T

Marc Spagnuolo July 30, 2016 5:06 pm

So you probably want the separate instructor bundle option. That would give you complete control and pretty much keep things the way they are now.

ff1045 July 30, 2016 5:03 pm

I chose bundles separated by instructor. I figure I will probably by all six projects anyway cause I can of enjoy this as entertainment even if I am not going to build along. Just my 2 cents. David Nichols (the original apprentice) HAHA

Marc Spagnuolo July 30, 2016 5:04 pm

You realize you need to get that tattooed on your body now right? ๐Ÿ™‚

mikejpt July 30, 2016 5:38 pm

Been doing that since the beginning. Still do. I have built several items over the years with this and that I picked up.

Thomas July 30, 2016 4:47 pm

May be confusing to some since the order of the questions is different than the answers…

Marc Spagnuolo July 30, 2016 4:49 pm

That’s just to make sure they are paying attention. ๐Ÿ™‚ Fixed it.

CubsFan July 30, 2016 4:46 pm

Did Matt ever do any free videos? I’m sure he’s a fine instructor, but not sure I’m ready to buy a bundle that includes an instructor I’ve never seen. I know Marc very well, and am comfortable paying for those, but not so sure about an unknown (to me).

Marc Spagnuolo July 30, 2016 4:49 pm

Matt has a great channel on YouTube that you might check out. Get to know him a bit before making a purchase decision: https://www.youtube.com/user/mcremona

Cliff July 30, 2016 5:23 pm

Matt’s videos are pretty great. But in an entirely different way. It’s awesome to watch him start with a tree in a forest and go to a finished product. He’s got a lot of talent.

Steve July 30, 2016 4:46 pm

I would actually prefer a pick your own, mix and match bundle. I am more driven by the project than by the instructor. So take all 6 or pick any three from the 6.

Marc Spagnuolo July 30, 2016 4:48 pm

Unfortunately, that’s actually really difficult to pull off with the current tech we use to operate the shopping cart.

Bryan July 30, 2016 4:48 pm

I came here to make a similar comment. So I will just add my vote to Steve’s. To me it’s less about the instructor, as both have their own strengths. However, some of the projects I just don’t want to build. For instance the upcoming dining chair. That keeps me from buying the early bird bundle, because I’m essentially paying for something that I really have no interest in.

jverreault July 30, 2016 5:03 pm

Same for me…

Marc Spagnuolo July 30, 2016 5:04 pm

Well that’s why we have this new system. You can avoid projects by simply waiting until the bundle contains projects you want. Or if that never happens because you’re looking for specific things, you can always build your own bundle. The discount isn’t as deep, but you still get to mix and match to your liking.

jverreault July 30, 2016 5:06 pm

…more that I bought the last bundle when I already had the bookcase paid for but was told I could not substitute it for something yet to come.

blissjunkie July 30, 2016 5:08 pm

Ditto. You both are great instructors and I’m SOOOO happy to see you bring Matt on. I would be more apt to buy a build if I could pick and choose. I’d be happy with either of you teaching. Its more about the build for me and the bundles have kept me from buying them in the past as the one I really wanted, was with others that I wasn’t interested in at the time.

think of buying a album compared to iTunes now. Don’t have to buy the whole thing for the ones you don’t want. I’d think that doing this would help you to be able to better track what your customers are more interested in as well as its a 1:1 relationship. And develop future builds around that.

.02

Marc Spagnuolo July 30, 2016 5:10 pm

Totally get it. But I’ll say again, there are technical difficulties that make a system like this difficult if not impossible with our current tech.

Cliff July 30, 2016 5:20 pm

I put my vote in for this as well. Two options – 3 projects or 6, choose which 3 you want if you only want 3. I will probably buy all six no matter what because I enjoy watching the videos, but if I was a normal person I’d probably only buy what I will want to make. I understand your system isn’t set up for that though. But I guess having someone recode or looking at different software could be a good thing in case you ever decide to bring a 3rd and 4th person into the thing. Suddenly you are running a school and having that flexibility would be real nice.

Marc Spagnuolo July 30, 2016 5:21 pm

Why did you buy the bundle? I recall your email and you were asking about the substitution prior to making the purchase. I told you the system wouldn’t handle a substitution and that your best bet is to simply wait for the bundle to change in a few months. I didn’t realize you made the purchase any way. I’m not too keen on people paying for a project twice so I’m more than happy to add an additional future project to your account. But what you wrote here is not exactly what happened. Email me and we can work it out.

Matthew July 30, 2016 5:50 pm

If I had a choice, I would agree.

But I enjoy all the videos because I learn something in each one of them even though I don’t plan on building all the projects in the bundle

halcon July 30, 2016 7:42 pm

I agree with ^^^^^

Donald July 30, 2016 8:09 pm

I see your point, however, I would like to bring up another point of view. Even though I have not yet built any of these projects (stuff keeps getting in the way ) I have learned something from watching the videos. I have then been able to apply these lessons learned to other projects that I am working on. I also like to see how different instructors approach their projects. I really appreciate Marc asking for our input. Thanks!

bcomerfo July 30, 2016 8:13 pm

I agree – I watch the videos mainly for in depth instruction on various techniques. Even if I don’t build that project – I still get a lot of value from watching the videos.

lemmonj August 1, 2016 4:40 am

same here – more about which projects that I am interested in and less about the instructor.

pgelburd July 30, 2016 4:45 pm

I already accept as a threshold the excellence of Marc’s and Matt’s video teaching specifics. For me, it’s now about the specific projects – is the build something I’m interested in doing? Every build, as far as I, a novice, is concerned, has much to offer me in techniques, skills, helpful hints. I get something (a lot) from every video.

rwbrower July 31, 2016 1:28 am

Same for me. Also it takes several months to a year to complete a project – I couldn’t handle three or more a year.
    Ron B.