What will I receive?
- Detailed cut list and plans including a PDF and a SketchUp file (metric and imperial).
- Printable template files for various chair parts.
- Hours of detailed video instruction showing every step of the build, from design to finishing.
- All videos and plans are digital and will be available for download upon purchase.
What will I learn?
- Chair design
- Chair construction
- How to draw a new design
- How to make project templates
- Complex mortises made simple
- Loose mortise & tenon construction
- Tapering legs
- Adding decorative elements
- Shaping and fitting curved back rests and crest rails
- Assembly strategy
- Seat options
- How to level chair legs
- How to think critically about a design
- How to apply a wiping varnish finish (Waterlox)
What will I need?
These are approximate numbers. You’ll want to buy more for waste and grain selection. Bell Forest Kits are available here (Guild members get 10% off with code). For a single chair:
- 8.5 Board Feet of 8/4 Hardwood
- 2.5 Board Feet of 5/4 Hardwood
- 1 Sheet of 3/4″ Plywood (Seat Platform)
Note: This is not a required list of tools. This is simply what I used during the build. Remember, there are always multiple ways to accomplish a task so if you don’t have one or more of these tools, you can very likely still make this project.
- Oscillating spindle sander
- Block plane
- Small Rasp
- Table saw
- Miter gauge
- Miter Saw
- Upholstery gun and staples