Please note: this project is designed around a specific clock movement (Hermle Movement) as well as some other components listed below. Unfortunately, the vendors of these products tend to be inconsistent in their offerings so if you buy this project, you’ll likely have some homework to do in order to find the parts that work with our plans and require no modifications. We try to keep the links updated but this has proven to be a constantly moving target. So I suggest doing this legwork before you purchase the project.
What You’ll Receive:
- Detailed cut list and plans including a PDF and a SketchUp file (Metric and Imperial).
- Hours of detailed video instruction (19 videos in total) showing every step of the build.
- All videos and plans are digital and will be available for download upon purchase.
What You’ll Learn:
- The Design Process
- Wood Selection & Grain Considerations
- Through Mortise & Tenon Construction
- Cutting Tapered Legs
- Frame & Panel Construction
- Hinge Installation
- Glass Installation
- Aging Brass Hardware
- Setting up a Clock Movement
- Finishing with Dye and Lacquer
What You’ll Need:
- Bell Forest Lumber Packages are available here (Guild members get 10% off with code).
- Planer/Jointer (alternatives: purchase pre-milled lumber kits or use hand planes)
- Dado Stack (for making tenons)
- Festool Domino (although I used this tool you can substitute dowels, biscuits, pocket screws, or classic mortise and tenons which I demo in the video)
- Bandsaw (alternative: Jigsaw)
- Miter Saw (alternatives: Cross-cut Sled or Miter Gauge at Table Saw)
- Random Orbit Sander
- Hand Tools – Chisels, Flush Trim Saw, Shoulder Plane, Card Scraper
- 1/4” Spiral Up-Cut Router Bit
- 1/2” Spiral Up-Cut Router Bit
- 5/8” Guide Bushing
- 1/8” Roundover Bit
- Rabbeting Bit
- 1/2” Forstner Bit
- Hinges – Unfortunately, the hinges I used in this project have been discontinued. The alternative is a very nice hinge from Horton Brasses that’s available in several finishes.
- Door Pulls
- Clock Movement (You can install a different movement but you’ll need to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and adjust the plans accordingly)
- Clock Parts Kit
- 1/2” Rare Earth Magnets
- Leg Levelers
- 1/8″ Thick Glass