What You’ll Receive:
Over 5.5 hours of detailed step-by-step video instructions (24 videos) available for immediate download after purchase. Patterns must be purchased separately.
What You’ll Learn:
- Wood Selection
- Chair Joinery
- Carving with power tools (angle grinder and die grinder)
- Shaping with rasps
- Designing elegant curves
- Creating curved templates
- Bent lamination
- Oil finishing
What You Need:
The list of tools used in this project is rather extensive, but keep in mind there are always alternative options available if you don’t own something in this list.
Seat (5) – 4 1/4” W x 22” L x 2” T
Front Legs (2) – 2 13/16”W x 19 1/2”L x 2” T
Headrest – 7”W x 22”L x 10/4 (or laminated 8/4)
Arms (2) – 4 1/2” W x 19 1/2” L x 10/4 (or laminated 8/4)
Rear Legs (2) – 6” W x 48” L x 2” Thick (or as close as you can get)
Spindles (7) – 2 1/4” W x 30 1/2” L x 1 1/2” T
Rockers (2) – 1 1/2” W x 50” L (8/4 stock should provide adequate thickness. These pieces will be sliced up into 6-8 laminations that will add up to a final 1″ thickness)
- The Sculpted Rocker Patterns
- Basic woodworking tools including Table Saw, Drill Press, Drill, Bandsaw (at least 7″ H cut capacity), Jointer, Planer, Miter Saw, Router, Router Table, and Lathe (needs to have 19 1/2″ L capacity).
- Drum Sander for sanding rocker laminations. A planer and a sled can be used as an alternative.
- Power carving: Angle Grinder with carving disks. Suggested carving discs include Holey Galahad Coarse and Holey Galahad Fine, though other brands will work too.
- Die Grinder or other rotary tool with various mills. I recommend a Bullnose Burr, Sphere Burr, and a Ball Nose Burr.
- Rasps. I recommend three rasps: a large coarse, a large fine, and a small fine. Here are the ones I use: Auriou 12″ Grain 8, Auriou 12″ Grain 10, Auriou 7″ Modeler’s Rasp Grain 13. Looking for a budget-friendly solution? Consider a Comination Rasp. Need an even MORE budget-friendly solution? Try this.
- Scrapers, and Spokeshave, Chisels, Awl, Marking Knife, Dividers, Router Plane
- Scribing Tool (or compass)
- Veritas Tenon-Cutters (1/2″ and 3/8″)
- Miller Dowel 1X and #10 x 3″ Spax Screws (Can be substituted by a 1/8″ bit for pre-drilling and a 3/8″ forstner or counter-sink bit for creating the plug hole)
- Dowel Centers
- 1/2″ and 3/8″ drill bits
- 2″ Flush Trim Bit (up-cut, 1/2″ diameter): Amazon or Highland
- Matched Rabbet and Roundover Bit Set
- Tapered Plug Cutters
Nice to Have:
Oscillating Spindle Sander