What You’ll Receive:
Over 5.5 hours of detailed step-by-step video instructions (24 videos) available for immediate download after purchase. Patterns must be purchased separately.
What You’ll Learn:
- Wood Selection
- Chair Joinery
- Carving with power tools (angle grinder and die grinder)
- Shaping with rasps
- Designing elegant curves
- Creating curved templates
- Bent lamination
- Oil finishing
What You Need:
The list of tools used in this project is rather extensive, but keep in mind there are always alternative options available if you don’t own something in this list.
- The Sculpted Rocker Patterns
- Basic woodworking tools including Table Saw, Drill Press, Drill, Bandsaw, Jointer, Planer, Miter Saw, Router, Router Table, and Lathe.
- Drum Sander for sanding rocker laminations. A planer and a sled can be used as an alternative.
- Power carving: Angle Grinder with carving disks. Suggested carving discs include Holey Galahad Coarse and Holey Galahad Fine, though other brands will work too.
- Die Grinder or other rotary tool with various mills. I recommend a Bullnose Burr, Sphere Burr, and a Ball Nose Burr.
- Rasps: I suggest a Coarse (12″, #8) or Combination, Fine (12″, #10), and Small (7″, #13) rasps. You can buy all three in this Auriou Rasp Set, though other brands will do.
- Scrapers, and Spokeshave, Chisels, Awl, Marking Knife, Dividers, Router Plane
- Scribing Tool (or compass)
- Veritas Tenon-Cutters (1/2″ and 3/8″)
- Miller Dowel 1X and #10 x 3″ Spax Screws (Can be substituted by a 1/8″ bit for pre-drilling and a 3/8″ forstner or counter-sink bit for creating the plug hole)
- Dowel Centers
- 1/2″ and 3/8″ drill bits
- 2″ Flush Trim Bit (up-cut, 1/2″ diameter): Amazon or Highland
- Matched Rabbet and Roundover Bit Set
- As an alternative, purchase the flush trim bit, rabbet bit, and roundover bit as Chair Bit Set.
- Tapered Plug Cutters
Nice to Have:
Oscillating Spindle Sander