What Will I Receive?
- Detailed cut list and plans including a PDF and a SketchUp file (Metric and Imperial).
- Hours of detailed video instruction showing every step of the Boarded Bookcase build.
- All videos and plans are digital and will be available for download upon purchase.
What Will I Learn?
- How to use marriage marks to make sure everything goes together in the right direction
- How to lay out and hand cut tight dados (as you learn the joy of router planes – as well as how to go without)
- How a few cross-grain plane passes lead to a perfectly fit shelf
- How to hand cut grooves
- How to use blue tape for nail location layout…so you have to think about it only once
- How to use tapered, square-shanked nails without splitting your work.
- How to plane corners and cross-grain joints to ensure the front of the case is co-planer
- Choices for backboards
- Suggestions for finish
What Will I Need?
- 4 Home Center Pine or Poplar 1×12’s
- 1 Box of Cut Nails
- 1 Box of Square Nails
- 10 Home Center Beadboards (optional)
- Crosscut saw of some ilk…longer is better; used to cut dados in the sides
- Tenon saw or other rip-filed backsaw (if you have one – not strictly necessary)
- 5/8”-wide chisel if you have one; ½” if that’s what you have… largest that’s less than ¾”
- Router plane (large if you have one, but small will work)
- Cutting/Marking Gauge (I prefer a wheel marking gauge, such as the Tite-Mark)*
- Marking knife (Ideally, one that has one flat side, but any will do)
- Smooth plane
- Block plane
- Beading plane (if you have one and are planning on beaded backboards)
- Hand drill (or drill/driver) and set of bits (for nail pilot holes)