What Will I Receive?
- Detailed cut list and plans including a PDF and a SketchUp file (Metric and Imperial).
- Hours of detailed video instruction showing every step of Kumiko Lamp Build.
- All videos and plans are digital and will be available for download upon purchase.
What Will I Learn?
- Milling up small parts for a small project
- A different way to cut small mortises with an end-mill and drill press
- Tenons on the table saw equipped with a dado stack
- How to miter tenons to fit into a 90 degree corner
- Mill stop rebates to house the Kumiko panels
- Glue and clamp the lantern frame
- Building accurate jigs to aid in precise, repeatable cutting of Kumiko pattern pieces
- How to complete a Kumiko panel, including milling strips to thickness, cutting precise half laps, assembling the grid-work, and fitting the pieces that make up the Asa No Ha pattern.
- Fitting panels precisely to the rebates in the lantern for a friction fit.
- Glue and trim shoji paper to the the grid-work
- How to wire up a a light socket, switch and plug using readily available lamps components.
- Apply Osmo for a simple, but beautiful finish
- How to be awesome.
What Will I Need?
- 4/4 Hardwood (Cherry) – 3 Board Feet
- 4/4 Hardwood (Basswood) – 3 Board Feet
- 8/4 and 4/4 Scrap for Making Jigs
You can find the Bell Forest Product wood bundle here. Use your Guild discount for 10% off your order too!
Jointer, Planer, Miter Saw, Table saw, Dado stack, router table, drill press, small hand saw (pull saw works best), shooting board and plane, block plane (or smoothing plane), 1/4” chisel, 1 wider chisel.
- Straight router bit with at least a 1/2” cutting height
- 1/4” roughing end mill or other method to cut a 1/4” mortise
- coutersink for #7 screws, drill bit to pilot threaded inserts (will vary depending on exact inserts).
- Low wattage light bulb (anything below 100)
- Light socket
- Lamp rod and nuts
- Fabric coated extension with molded plug
- In line rocker switch (optional)
- Shoji paper
- Shoji paper with a plain look
- Rice glue
- Fine mist spray bottle to wet shoji paper
- Osmo Polyx Oil
- 8-32 threaded inserts (for jigs) qty-6 or more
- 8-32 3/4” long machine screws for jigs qty-6
- #8 washers (for jigs) qty-6
- #8 x 2” wood screws (for jigs) qty-6
- #7 x 5/8” wood screws to hold socket bracket in place qty-2