This is an Advanced Project!
Advanced does not necessarily mean DIFFICULT. It simply means that there won’t be quite as much hand-holding as we normally feature in Guild projects. Philip uses very specific tools (such as the Pantarouter) in his work. While there are alternative options and he discusses and partially demonstrates them, this series doesn’t cover them completely. An experienced woodworker should have no problem substituting their own joinery preferences and tools when building the Morley Lounge Chair.
What will I receive?
- Detailed cut list and plans including a PDF and a SketchUp file (Metric and Imperial).
- Hours of detailed video instruction showing every step of the build.
- All videos and plans are digital and will be available for download upon purchase.
What will I learn?
- Learn to make bridle joints
- Mortise and tenon joinery
- Using spoke shave, hand planes to shape parts
- Slip tenon joinery
- Using templates and jigs for pattern routing to produce accurate and efficient parts
- Use an “L” fence effectively
- Importance of reference faces
- Coping on table saw
- Veneering for panels
What will I need?
Minimum material required: 3 BF of 4/4 Hardwood, 5 BF of 5/4 Hardwood, 10 BF of 8/4 Hardwood, 8 Sq Ft of Veneer (Accent Species), 1 Sheet 1/2″ Plywood.
You’ll need to make (or have an upholsterer make) the two cushions.
Back: 4” thick Soft high density foam with Dacron wrap all around. 21.5” x 23”
Seat: 5” thick firm feel high density foam with Dacron wrap all around . 23.75” x 23”
Instructions for upholstery are NOT provided.
Table Saw, Bandsaw, Jointer, Planer, Drill Press, Drill, Random Orbit Sander, Router, Router Table
- Magnate Fingernail Bit
- Top and bottom bearing flush trim bit
- 1/2″ Straight Bit (for mortises)
- 1/4” Radius Roundover Bit
- Cove Bit
- 1” Round Tenon-Cutting Bit
- 1” Forstner Bit
- Drill bit for dowels
Stuff I use that you might find useful
- Pre-Made L-Fence
- Flush Trim Saw
- Contour Sanding Pads
- Sanding Drums for Drills
- MatchFit Clamps
- Vacuum Press
- Smoothing Plane