Your cart is currently empty.
You must be logged in and own a project to leave a review.
I just finished this jewelry box, I used maple and sapele. Everyone who sees it, loves it, especially my daughter, who was the recipient. Don’t be fooled by the “small size” of this project, there is a lot of woodworking packed into it. This was the first time I did hand cut dovetails, and couldn’t do the double recessed half blinds at the front of the drawers, so I ended up just doing matching single dovetails front and back.
I have built a lot of big furniture, but this little guy was the most complex project I have ever done. The difference is, I am used to doing one or two operations on each piece, and then moving on. On this project you do many operations on most of the parts, which can get scary because you don’t want to make a mistake on a part you have worked on for days. Marc’s videos are great, this was my first guild project, and I watched the whole series start to finish a few times before I started. That was very helpful because Marc actually made a mistake on one operation, and later made a small change to the drawer pulls. Watching all the videos first allowed me to avoid those situations, and also use his idea to inlay a mirror in the lid which was not in the original design.
This project was a lot of work, but when you finish it, the sense of accomplishment is great, as is the reaction from people who see it.
Ordered this series early on when the cultist and Bell Forrest kits were still work in progress. There were multiple discrepancies at first, but nothing that could not be overcome with a little patience and ingenuity. Overall the video instruction was awesome and made this otherwise daunting project very manageable. I made a few modifications mostly out of fear, but some were stylistic. I used a porter cable miniature dovetail jig and used half blinds for the drawers and the side cases. I tried hand cutting and got frustrated too easily. I also opted to skip the curved front and used 45 degree chamfers instead of round overs on the edges and bevels on the side panels instead of using a cove bit. The biggest problem I had was wood movement (cupping). The 3/8 thick carcass components would be slightly different every day. This made getting the drawers to fit just right a challenge. I chose the milled Cherry and Curly Maple combo from Bell Forrest and finished with Danish Oil. Shortly after I began the project the cut list and sketchup files were updated, so no major issues in that regard. I have purchased a few of these projects from the guild and will be back. Marc has a great style, is very clear and concise in his delivery and is a great instructor.